Planting Instructions from the Dufferin Garden Centre
Please read the following instructions carefully to ensure the healthy growth of the purchased plant material
Plants in Plastic Containers
- Grasp the base of the plant securely, turn the pot upside down, and gently slide out the moistened root ball.
- If the roots appear thickly entangled or tightly wound around the base of the soil ball, loosen them gently with your fingers.
- Place in the planting hole.
Plants with Burlap Soil Balls
- Lower the complete burlap ball into the pre-dug hole.
- Cut the strings at the top of the ball that are wound tightly around the stems or trunk and remove.
- Pull the burlap away from the stem.
- It will end up being covered by soil.
- Don’t try to remove any of the burlap.
- Its biodegradable and tender roots will have no trouble pushing through it.
- Plant material must be planted 1” ABOVE existing grade of soil
- Plant material will settle into existing soil
- *** If plant material is plant too deep, it will die. ***
- Clematis is the exception for planting. It should be planted 3” BELOW ground level to encourage sprouting of new shoots
- Pack triple blend soil tightly around roots and water well every two to three days for 1 month
- Use bone meal or Parkwood Transplanter 5-15-5 at planting to encourage production of new roots
Dufferin Garden Centre Guarantee
- Plant material is guaranteed for one year
- Receipt AND dead plant material must be returned for a replacement.
- Plant Material is replaced once, under the guarantee
- Sale items are replaced at the purchase price
- Due to the special care requirements, the following plants are guaranteed for the growing season only (not over the winter); perennials, roses, rhododendrons and azaleas
- no refunds, however credits may be issued.
2020 UPDATE: We are currently not accepting any returns or exchanges; your plant warranty will be extended